Friday, August 19, 2011

Back-to-Soccer

On my way to the studio as I passed 3 soccer fields filled with players in pinnies, my quads started to burn. I remember this time of year...the dreaded soccer pre-season. Running laps, field long sprints, Give-n-Gos, squats, crunches while heading, throw downs...not to mention done in the scorching heat. I spent many a days with ice packs and heating pads after hours of conditioning to prep ourselves for the season. Understandably so...I mean, pre-season may just be the most critical time of the entire season.
If only I knew then that yoga was such an amazing compliment to soccer...or any sport for that matter! Luckily, some of the USA Women's National Team have been privy to this information! Hope Solo, one of the best-ever US goalies, attributes her yoga practice for her focus, poise, and reflexes in the goal, according to Nike Women:
“As an athlete I like to keep my speed and my agility, and that dynamic part of who I am. A lot of times simple stretching takes away from your speed, so for me dynamic yoga gives me the ability and empowers me to keep my speed and elongate my muscles.
Several years ago it wasn’t as popular for professional athletes to do. Now you’ll find this day and age people are really starting to realize it really benefits them on the field.”
Honestly, I think yoga is one of the main reasons the team made it to the FIFA Women's World Cup for the first time since 1999...just sayin'.
For more on Soccer and Yoga...click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment